indoor plants that are harmful to dogs

We're an affiliate

We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page at no additional cost to you. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!

Dogs are known for being loyal companions, but did you know that there are some plants that they can be harmful to dogs? If you have a dog, it’s important to be aware of these five plants and keep them out of reach.

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras

If you have a dog, you may be wondering what kind of indoor plants are safe for dogs.

Our guide today is Michelle Wilde from “The Indoor Plants Channel”. Michelle is passionate about plants (and dogs!) and will guide us today on the 5 plants to avoid for dog lovers. 

So without further ado, let’s get started. 

5 Indoor Plants That Are Harmful To Dogs

There are a few indoor plants that can be harmful to dogs if they ingest them. Some of these plants include:

1. Sago Palm

Sago palms are a popular landscaping plant, but they can be harmful to dogs. The plant contains cycasin, which is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure.

Sago palm can be toxic to dogs and cause vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect your dog has eaten a sago palm, contact your veterinarian immediately.

There is not much research specifically on sago palms and dogs, but there are some general studies that suggest that sago palms may not be the best plants for dogs.

One study found that sago palms were one of the most common plants that caused gastrointestinal problems in dogs.

Another study found that sago palms were the second most common plant that caused allergic reactions in dogs.

2. Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia, also known as dumb cane, is a popular houseplant that is toxic to dogs. The plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates.

This compound when eaten by the dog can cause burning and irritation of the mouth. If ingested, dieffenbachia can also cause vomiting, drooling, and difficulty swallowing. 

One study found that Dieffenbachia poisoning was responsible for 12% of all plant poisonings in dogs. The most common symptoms observed were vomiting (61%), drooling (51%), and difficulty swallowing (36%). 

Another study looked at the effects of Dieffenbachia poisoning in dogs and found that the most common symptom was vomiting, followed by drooling, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

Genius Dog 300 x 600 - Animated

The study recommends that any dog that ingests the plant be taken to the veterinarian immediately.

3. Philodendron

While philodendrons are lovely plants, they can be harmful to dogs if ingested.

The leaves and stem of the plant contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat, difficulty breathing, and vomiting. 

If your dog ingests a philodendron, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. The sooner your dog is treated, the better their prognosis will be.

While philodendrons are not the most dangerous plant to dogs, they can still cause serious health problems if not treated quickly.

If your dog eats a philodendron, the most common symptom will be vomiting and this can then lead to dehydration.

Treatment typically includes administration of intravenous fluids and symptomatic care. In some cases, more aggressive treatment may be necessary, such as stomach pumping or activated charcoal administration.

4. Peace Lily

The peace lily is a beautiful plant that is often used as a decorative item in homes and offices. However, many people are unaware that the peace lily is harmful to dogs.

If a dog ingests the plant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, the plant can be fatal. 

According to research conducted by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the Peace Lily is toxic to dogs.

The research found that the lily can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and difficulty breathing in dogs. The lily can also cause skin irritation and burning in dogs.

The ASPCA advises pet owners to keep the Peace Lily out of reach of dogs and to contact a veterinarian if their dog comes into contact with the plant.

5. Oleander

Oleander is a beautiful plant that is unfortunately poisonous to dogs. If your dog ingests any part of an oleander plant, it can result in serious health problems, and even death.

The toxic chemicals in oleander can cause gastrointestinal upset, heart problems, and central nervous system disorders. 

There are a number of research studies that have been conducted on the subject of oleander and dogs. These studies have shown that oleander can be toxic to dogs if they consume it.

The toxic effect of oleander on dogs can lead to a number of serious health problems, including gastrointestinal distress, cardiac arrhythmias, and even death.

While the toxic effect of oleander on dogs is well-established, the exact mechanism by which it occurs is still not fully understood.

This is an area of active research, and further studies are needed to determine the precise mechanism of toxicity.

How To Tell If A Particular Plant Is Harmful To Your Dog

If you think your plant may be harmful to your dog, there are a few things you can look for to be sure. 

First, check to see if your dog has any symptoms like itchiness, redness, swelling, or hair loss. If your dog does have any of these symptoms, it’s possible that the plant is harmful to your dog. 

Another way to tell if your plant is harmful to your dog is to see if they start showing symptoms after being around the plant.

For example, if your dog starts itching after being in the garden, it’s possible that they’re allergic to one of the plants there. 

Common Symptoms A Plant May Be Harmful To Your Dog

There are a few common symptoms that may indicate that a plant is harmful for dogs if ingested. These include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, abdominal pain, and difficulty swallowing.

If your dog ingests a plant and begins to show any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Some plants can be very toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems if not treated promptly. 

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a harmful plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian.

They will be able to give you specific instructions on what to do next and will be able to determine if your dog needs to be seen immediately.

If you have the plant in question, it is also helpful to bring a sample of it with you to the vet so they can properly identify it. 

If you have a dog, it is important to be aware of which plants are harmful to them. By taking some simple precautions, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which indoor plants are harmful to dogs?

There are many indoor plants that can be harmful to dogs if they eat them. Some of the most common ones include: lilies, sago palms, dieffenbachia, and philodendrons. 

2. What are the symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs?

The symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs can vary depending on the plant that was eaten and how much was eaten.

Some of the most common symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, and tremors. 

3. What should I do if my dog eats a harmful plant?

If you think your dog has eaten a harmful plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

They will be able to tell you what to do next based on the type of plant your dog ate and how much they ate. 

4. Can I prevent my dog from eating harmful plants?

The best way to prevent your dog from eating harmful plants is to keep them out of reach.

If you have plants in your home, make sure they are out of your dog’s reach or in a place where they cannot get to them.

You should also be careful when choosing plants for your yard, as some of the most common poisonous plants are found in many yards across the country. 

5. Are there any safe plants for dogs?

There are many safe plants for dogs, but some of the most popular ones include: areca palm, rattle snake plant, gloxinia, and spider plant.


If your dog has any symptoms like itchiness, redness, swelling, or hair loss, it might be due to your plants. Many people are unaware that there are actually a number of plants that can be harmful to dogs.

In this blog post, we covered 5 of the worst plants for dogs. 

Hope you enjoyed this blog post. Do drop us a comment below with your thoughts. 

About the Author

Michelle Wilde is a stay-at-home mom and avid plant lover. Armed with a postgraduate degree in Computer Science (no kidding!), she loves researching plants and landscapes. When she is not caring for her 4 kids, she spends time on her passion for plants. She blogs at “The Indoor Plants Channel”, the trusted source for indoor plants.

Written By

Laura is the founder of Furs'n'Paws. She is a pet expert with more than 20 years of experience working with dogs and cats. She developed a very strong love for animals since a young age. Her passion led her to establish a thriving pet sitting and dog walking business in Dubai. As an expert in pet training, behavior, and nutrition, Laura is committed to helping pet owners and pet lovers by offering high-quality information on a wide range of topics.

Spread the love

No responses yet

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *